German Village Apartments for Rent
Originally settled by German immigrants in the mid-1830s, German Village is located just south of downtown Columbus. Situated along tree-lined streets paved with brick, the neighborhood is mostly made up of historic brick houses. In 1974, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The German Village Commission, created in 1960, oversees new construction, alterations to existing properties, and demolition of buildings.
The main streets in the neighborhood are South Third Street, East Whitaker Street, and Thurman Avenue. Interstate 70 is just above the northern boundary. The neighborhood’s ZIP codes are 43206 and 43215.
The German Village Meeting Haus, located at 588 South Third Street, houses the German Village Society, preservation offices, and archives of the neighborhood. Frank Fetch founded the German Village Society in the early 20th century. The Society educates residents and visitors through the German Village Walking Tour as well as guided tours of the neighborhood. The Society hosts the yearly Haus and Garten Tour, which began in 1960 and is a favorite among residents and visitors.
German Village offers pedestrian-friendly streets lined with restaurants and inviting shops. Several community parks and gardens are within its boundaries, which are Frank Fetch Park, Grace Highland Memorial Garden, Huntington Gardens, and Schiller Park. A two-acre dog park is available for residents at Audubon Park, just west of Front Street. The fenced-in park has an agility course with separate spaces for small and large dogs.
Community landmarks include the 32-room Book Loft bookstore, which is a block long, and St. Mary’s Catholic Church, which was constructed in 1868. The German Village Garten Club, Actor’s Theater, and German Village Art League are also among the local attractions.