20 apartments for rent in Oak Meadows, San Antonio, TX
Oak Meadow is a San Antonio subdivision with a foothold in nature. The subdivision is located at the corner of Northwest Military Drive and Huebner Road in northwest San Antonio. The neighborhood has about 630 homes, many of which are 25 to 30 years old. The neighborhood sports 200-year-old live oak trees and giant crepe myrtle bushes.
Oak Meadow’s history stretches back to 1959 when Louis Charles Voelcker, whose family was well-known for dairy farming, deeded 223 acres of tree-covered land on the city’s outskirts to two couples. The couples sold the land in 1971 to Lloyd Denton of Denton Development Corp., who built the subdivision. The covenant for the subdivision’s first section was established in 1973.
Minnie Voelcker, the widow of Louis Charles Voelcker’s brother Max, would later sell 311 acres to the city for Voelcker Park. The park, located close by south of the subdivision, has been renamed the Phil Hardberger Park Conservancy and includes two prehistoric archaeological sites including a prehistoric quarry. It also includes the Louis Voelcker Dairy Farm, identified as a mid- to late-nineteenth century German farmstead.
Oak Meadow is also adjacent to the newly opened section of Salado Creek Greenway. The 4.5-mile asphalt and cement trail is popular with walkers, runners, dog owners and mountain bikers. It runs from Huebner Road to Blanco Road.
Subdivision residents can join the Oak Meadow Swim and Tennis Club, and female residents can participate in the Oak Meadow Women’s Club, opened in 1980. San Antonio’s Oak Meadow Elementary School is located within the subdivision. Oak Meadow is a great place to be close to nature and history within San Antonio.