Beaver Hills Apartments for Rent
Beaver Hills is a neighborhood located northwest of downtown New Haven, Connecticut. The area contains a historic district that has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1986, and the area was one of the first planned suburban residential communities. This district is in the eastern portion of Beaver Hills, between Goffe Street to the north and Ella Grasso Boulevard to the east. Ellsworth Avenue marks the southern border. A brick gateway marks to entryway, where Goffe Terrace and Norton Parkway meet with Ellsworth Avenue.
Over 200 buildings in the district are listed in the National Historic Registry. The homes are primarily single-family homes that were built between 1908 and 1936, including bungalows, colonial homes, and tudors. Some of the architectural styles include Colonial Revival and Tudor Revival. The neighborhood is also noted for its collection of early 20th century garages. The wide streets are lined with elm trees.
The southwestern part of the neighborhood is also a historical district protected by the state, called Fairlawn-Nettleton Historic District. Beaver Pond is located at the south end of the area. Hillhouse High School is the area’s high school.
The area was settled by farmers during the colonial period. One third of the land was owned by George Mead, who subdivided the land in the early 20th century. They created Beaver Hills Company and sold homes to middle and upper class professionals. These professionals created a suburban enclave of homes built by some of the most prominent architects at the time, such as Foote, Von Beren, and Norton and Townsend. A clubhouse was built for neighborhood use at 390 Norton Parkway.