Named after a neighborhood in Manhattan, Murray Hill was created in 1907. It was incorporated as a separate city in 1916 and annexed by Jacksonville in 1925.
Murray Hill is dominated by smaller, historic, bungalow-style houses that are completely brick or utilize brick as an appointment on the exteriors, especially south of Edgewood Avenue. Many of the homes north of Edgewood are frame construction. Murray Hill is particularly attractive to first-time homebuyers who find the smaller, yet historic-looking homes a good value with potential to enhance and remodel.
In the 32205 zip code area, Murray Hill is bordered by Interstate 10 to the north, Interstate 295 to the west, Park Street to the south and King Street to the east. The main commercial corridor in Murray Hill is Edgewood Avenue. One of the important landmarks on the street is the Edgewood Bakery, a local favorite with residents that opened in 1947.
Four Corner’s Park got its name from the property’s location at the four corners of Lawnview Street and Lamboll Avenue. It is a palm- and pine-dotted open area that is completely surrounded by a residential district. Another large, passive park with heavy palm and pine tree growth is the area situated between Dellwood Avenue and Plum Street, just west of McDuff Avenue. Murray Hill is fortunate to have several parks within its boundaries, including Arques Park, John D. Liverman Park, Merrett Park, Boone Park, Fishweir Park, and Willow Branch Park.
Students in Murray Hill are zoned for Ruth N. Upson Elementary School at 1090 Dancy Street, West Riverside Elementary School at 2801 Herschel Street and Ramona Boulevard Elementary School at 5540 Ramona Boulevard. High school students attend Robert E. Lee Senior High School at 1200 McDuff Avenue South.