Henrico County Apartments for Rent(hide county information)
One of the oldest political subdivisions in Virginia, Henrico County was established in 1634 as one of eight original shires, or counties. Its first boundaries incorporated what would become the cities of Richmond, Charlottesville and Colonial Heights. The county was named for Henry, eldest son of King James I.
In the spring of 1607, a small band of adventurers led by Captain Christopher Newport left Jamestown on a voyage up Powhatan’s River, now called the James River. Newport’s company included Captain John Smith and about 22 others. These were the first Englishmen to set foot on the soil that was to become Henrico County; Newport erected a cross, claiming the river and the country for God and England. These explorers might have thought this was the climax of the story, but in fact it was just beginning.
Undoubtedly the most famous resident of Henrico County is Pocahontas. According to Native American lore, her parents knew her as “Amonte” and her European Christian friends called her “Lady Rebecca.” The legendary Indian princess and daughter of the mighty Chief Powhatan lived most of her life in what is present-day Henrico County. Pocahontas forever influenced the history of the County, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and America. It is her image that graces the Henrico seal and flag.
Bordering the city of Richmond on the west, north, and east, the county of Henrico lies between the James and Chickahominy rivers, and makes up approximately one-third of the Richmond metropolitan area. The Henrico County of today has a population of more than 300,000 with its area of approximately 244 square miles. The county is made up of beautiful residential communities, large expanses of farm land and carefully-planned and developed commercial and industrial areas.
Henrico County also enjoys a number of park and recreational facilities, many of which have historic significance. Meadow Farm, former home of Mosby Sheppard and one of several Henrico sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places is a 150-acre farm donated to the county by a descendent of the original owner. Meadow Farm is now the site of a nursing home, museum, and park.