Lockeland Springs Apartments for Rent
Located in urban East Nashville, Tennessee, Lockeland Springs is an historic neighborhood situated south of Eastland Avenue and north of the Cumberland River. Annexed to the city of Nashville in the early 1900s, Lockeland Springs was named after Jane Locke Weakley, wife of Colonel Robert Weakley. The Colonel is accredited for building Lockeland Mansion in the early 1800s – the first mansion built in the neighborhood.
Homes in Lockeland Springs vary in architectural styles. Queen Anne, Classical Revival, English Cottages, and Bungalows are prevalent in the neighborhood. Lockeland Springs is referred to as a “streetcar suburb” and follows historic zoning and conservation to protect and preserve the architecture for future generations.
The first home in Lockeland Springs was a log house built by Daniel Williams. Williams sold his land grant to Colonel Weakley in 1800 where Weakley built his mansion on the spot where Williams’ log home once stood. The City of Nashville purchased Lockeland Mansion in the late 1930s. Nashville demolished the mansion and built a school in its place.
Lockeland Springs is bordered to the south by Shelby Park and to the east by Shelby Bottoms. Shelby Park is a popular destination on the East Side to picnic, take walks, enjoy the bike trails or simply relax and appreciate the view. The park has ponds where birdwatchers can see a variety of ducks and other birds. Adjacent to Shelby Park is Shelby Bottoms and the Nature Center which opened in 2007. The park and nature center border the Cumberland River.
Located in the 37206 zip code area in Davidson County, Lockeland Springs is surrounded by various other parks, Cornelia Fort Airpark and Riverview Golf Course; and it is only a few miles from downtown Nashville. Public schools in the neighborhood include Lockeland Elementary, Ross Elementary, Bailey Middle, and Stratford High School. Lockeland Elementary is located where the Lockeland Mansion once stood.