Founded in 1813, the North Main Area of Greenville is one of the oldest areas of the city. The neighborhood is bounded by North Pleasantburg Drive to the north, by Stone Avenue to the south, by Mohawk Drive and Chick Springs Road to the east, and by Rutherford and Worley Roads to the west. Although the neighborhood began primarily as a business district, by the late 1800s residential building had begun.
The Main Street business district went through a makeover in the 1970s to create a more pedestrian-friendly environment. This included reducing the width of streets as well as adding new lighting and landscaping. Based on a European plan, this renovation included adding plazas, parks, and greenery to create a more inviting place for people to linger. In fact, this renovation landed Greenville the “Great American Main Street” Award from The National Trust for Historic Preservation in both 2003 and 2009.
This new central urban core drew more people to North Main Street, and eventually gave rise to the development of luxury lofts and condos, as well as encouraging more businesses to relocate back downtown. Although many North Main Area homes date to the turn of the century, a number of other housing types now exist in the North Main Area neighborhood, including modern single-family homes and town houses.
Despite its downtown location, the neighborhood is very much suited to residential life. Much of this community has a peaceful atmosphere with good schools and parks akin to any suburban location, while still being close to cultural amenities.
One outstanding feature of the North Main Area neighborhood is the BI-LO Center, an arena that is the second largest in the state. It is used for major sporting events, as well as for concerts, dog shows, and other community events.