Britton Apartments for Rent
Britton is a neighborhood within the large urban area of Oklahoma City, but for about 60 years, it was an independent community. When it was established in 1890, seven miles north of Oklahoma City and on the Santa Fe Railroad, Britton featured a rail station and a trading market for farmers. With the construction of streetcars into the area around 1910, Britton became connected to the growing central Oklahoma urban area. The community grew to about 2,500 people by the 1940s. At that time, Oklahoma City was growing rapidly and annexing rural land and towns in every direction. In 1950, Britton was annexed and became a part of Oklahoma City.
Britton’s commercial center is situated along Britton Road and Western Avenue, where the Santa Fe Railroad also intersects these streets. The commercial strip includes neighborhood services such as banks, bars, and convenience stores. Britton is home to one of Oklahoma City’s favorite cultural attractions, the Conservatory, which is an all-ages music attraction that has hosted many national acts over the decades.
The large printing facility and office tower for the city’s largest newspaper, the Oklahoman, is located in Britton. The eastern area of the neighborhood has a major concentration of the area’s media outlets, including numerous television and radio stations and antennas. Some industrial development is also in the area.
The Britton neighborhood is dog- and kid-friendly, with several nearby parks. Britton Park, adjacent to Britton Elementary, features a playground and a grassy area, as do nearby Pied Piper Park and Burton Park. While this is a neighborhood of modest incomes, it borders Nichols Hills, one of the most exclusive communities in the state, and The Village, a middle-class town that escaped Oklahoma City’s annexations. Britton residents enjoy quick and easy access to major highways to reach other commercial centers in the city.