Clearing Apartments for Rent
Question: When does a hardware store become an international airport? Answer: When it’s located within a vital Chicago transportation hub. That’s the story of the neighborhood of Clearing, located on the windy city’s southwest side, 10 miles from the Loop.
Bounded by 65th Street to the south, 59th Street to the north, Harlem to the west and Cicero to the east, the Clearing Industrial District’s founding coincided, as many Chicago neighborhoods did, with the coming of the railroad. Its name comes from the fact that farm goods from the area were “cleared,” or delivered, through the railroad yards.
In 1909, George Hill established a hardware store here, the community’s first business. By 1915, the hardware store had become surrounded by more businesses, and Chicago Transfer and Clearing Company had connected the freight car switching hub with 18 industries. By 1928, that number had grown to more than 90.
The next logical step was air freight. Clearing and its adjacent community Garfield Ridge, owned by the Chicago Public Schools, was leased to the city and in 1928 the new Midway airport opened with four runways.
A small residential area rests along the southerly border of Midway Airport, and among the developments there is the Lawler Park subdivision, named after an Irish Civil War general. A modestly-sized park covering 6.2 acres, Lawler Park is home to Little League softball, a brick recreation building and a small playground. Nathan Hale Elementary School, at 61st and Melvina, serves Clearing children. Its adjacent park, Hale Park, is home to an outdoor swimming pool, field house, ball fields and a playground.