881 apartments for rent near Calumet City, IL
Apartments in Calumet City, IL
With a history dating back to 1892, Calumet City has long been a favorite Chicago suburb – long before the water towers began smiling in the early 1970s. This charming city is situated about 20 miles south of Chicago, just west of Lake Michigan and bordering Indiana along the city’s east side. Calumet City is a great choice for your Chicago area apartment.
If Calumet City sounds familiar, you may remember it from the movie, The Blues Brothers. The famous characters “Joliet Jake” and “Elwood” (played by John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd) were trying to save their orphanage, which was located in Calumet City. The city is also mentioned in The Silence of the Lambs, and the city’s smiley water towers have appeared in movies and music videos.
Calumet City is a popular shopping destination, home to the Landings Shopping Center and River Oaks Plaza West. It is just south of Lake Calumet, Wolf Lake, Lake George, and the Calumet River. The city contains a large park in the center of the city. Calumet Park and the Sand River Nature Preserve are part of the Cook County Forest Preserve, which offers over 200 miles of hiking and biking trails.
- Chicago Theological Seminary
- Meadville Lombard Theological School
- University of Chicago
- City Colleges of Chicago Kennedy
- Westwood College Chicago River Oaks
- O'hare Air Force Base & Air National Guard
- U.S. Military Reservation
- US Military Reservation Naperville
- US Military Reservation Elk Grove
- Fermi National Accelerator Lab Winfield