159 apartments for rent in Buda, Texas
Guide to San Marcos
San Marcos Apartments For Rent
Roughly halfway between Austin and San Antonio along the Blanco River, San Marcos is ideally located – near two major city centers with less than an hour to each and right off I-35, San Marcos may appear to be a suburban community at first glance. But this growing, vibrant city is much more than that – it offers thrilling outdoor adventures, great shops and restaurants, and it is a college town, home to Texas State University.
If you like a city that’s just a little bit quirky, San Marcos will appeal to you. There are plenty of unique shops and restaurants and beautiful local art and murals. But there’s also the “Forest of Lost Souls” – souls meaning the kind on flip-flops. This is an exhibit of “found” shoes lost in the river at the nature center and turned into flip-flop trees. If the exhibit inspires your inner artist, head to the Eye of the Dog Art Center and attend a workshop or take a class. Other art and culture venues include the galleries at Texas State University, the Walker’s Gallery, and the Sculpture Garden.
Prefer the outdoors? San Marcos delivers outdoor adventures of all kinds, from tubing to biking to camping. The Ringtail Ridge Green Space features a two-mile unmarked mountain bike trail, while Schulle Canyon Green Space covers 21 acres of undeveloped land with a gravel trail. And since the San Marcos River is formed from hundreds of springs in the center of town, it is always 72 degrees – perfect year-round for tubing, kayaking, and snorkeling.
After you rent an apartment in San Marcos, be sure to visit the many attractions, such as the Aquarena Center, where you can tour the river in a historic glass bottom boat, stroll along the wetlands boardwalk, or see the Texas River exhibits. And, be sure to attend one the many events in San Marcos, such as the Sacred Springs Powwow, which involves Native American dancers, a 32-foot tipi, a White Shaman lecture, indigenous arts and food, and more.
Nearby Zip Codes
Nearby Colleges & Universities
- St. Edward's University
- Texas College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Austin Business College
- Southwest Institute of Technology
- Episcopal Theological Seminary Southwest
Nearby Military Bases
Why San Marcos?
- The San Marcos Farmer’s Market features local Texas farmers and is open year-round.
- Catching a TXST football game at Bobcat Stadium, featured in the NBC TV series Friday Night Lights.
- Spring Lake Preserve contains San Marcos Springs and Spring Lake, considered rare ecological treasures.
- Pet owners will appreciate the two-acre dog park, which includes picnic tables, benches, a water tub, and a water fountain.
- The average annual temperature in San Marcos is a perfect 68 degrees, and the sun shines for 300 days a year.
- Art Unhitched is a monthly event featuring local artists, live music, food, and live performances.