The Jersey Shore contains quaint seaside towns, exciting boardwalks, beautiful beaches, and historic locations. Ocean County is the fastest-growing county in New Jersey – and the main attraction is definitely the 44 miles of coastline. The county seat, Toms River, is the fastest-growing city in the county. Toms River was established in 1768. It contains several popular beaches, including Monterey Beach, Ocean Beach, Chadwick Beach, Ortley Beach, and Silver Beach. Festivals and events include the New Jersey Ice Cream Festival and the New Jersey Chili and Salsa Cook-Off.
As part of the New York metro area, Ocean County is a popular summer destination for area residents. Ocean County contains several tourist attractions, including Six Flags Great Adventure, Seaside Heights, and Long Beach Island. The Tuckerton Seaport is a 40-acre working maritime village and museum located in Tuckerton. It houses 17 historic sites, a maritime forest, a nature trail, and a boardwalk.
Part of Ocean County’s beauty is its state parks. They include Double Trouble State Park located in Lacey and Berkeley. It contains a historic village featuring cranberry bogs, 14 historic structures, a saw mill, and a cranberry packing house. Barnegat Lighthouse State Park, located on Long Beach Island, is popular for fishing, hiking the nature trails, and picnicking. The lighthouse was built in 1835 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Other parks include Forked River State marina, Brendan T. Byrne State Forest, Island Beach State Park, and Jackson State Forest.
Shoppers will love the Ocean County Mall, the only enclosed mall in the county. It features several dining locations and many popular stores. Nearby amusement parks include Casino Pier and Waterworks, Fantasy Island Amusement Park, and Fun Town Pier. Ocean County also contains over 30 historic sites as well as several museums, theaters, the OCC Fine Arts Center, and Albert Music Hall. Georgian Court University, a liberal arts school located in Lakewood, is situated on a 156-acre estate that is a National Historic Landmark.